What is the RSA Certificate?

If you want to work as a bartender at a bar, hotel, club or pub in Australia, then you will need to get your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA Certificate) accreditation.  An RSA Certificate is the name that Australia have given to their alcohol server training as part of their national alcohol strategy to help tackle binge drinking.

Each state has it’s own requirements surrounding the RSA courses, which means that you may need to re-sit the RSA Course in another state if you are moving around the country.

There is some good news, however. QLD, SA, WA and NT have standardised their requirements which means that an RSA Certificate that has been issued in one of these states is valid in all of the others in that group. NSW will allow you to complete your RSA online, but it must be issued by a training provider in NSW. Victoria, on the other hand, won’t allow you to complete your training online at all.

Because of this, it’s very easy to get your certificate as there are a number of Registered Training Organisations that will allow you to complete your RSA online quickly and easily from your home.

For most people, an Online RSA Course is the quickest and easiest way to complete the required training and certification so that you can start working as a bartender.

Some of the online courses can be completed in a few hours and because of the efficiencies that an online learning environment provides, it makes them cheapest way to complete your RSA training.

There are also a number of training providers in each state that will allow you to attend a physical classroom, if you prefer to learn in that format.

On our site, we have a state-by-state guide to the State’s liquor licensing requirements as well any pricing information that we have been able to obtain from the providers, so you can find the Cheapest RSA course provider.

While completing the RSA training is not likely to teach you how to mix popular drinks or how to pull a beer, it will deal with the legal requirements that you need to know for working in the hospitality industry and serving alcohol. These include:

  • The responsible service of alcohol to patrons

  • Dealing with intoxicated and/or disorderly patrons

  • Knowing the laws related to selling alcohol in Australia

  • Your responsibilities and expectations as a server of alcohol in a licensed venue

Completing your RSA Certificate before applying for bar jobs is likely to increase your chances of gaining employment, as it’s one less requirement for your future employer to complete before you can begin working.

It’s fairly cheap and only takes a few hours to complete your Responsible Service of Alcohol training, and it provides you with a qualification that will allow you to work in a wide range of entertainment and hospitality venues in Australia.

The cost to complete the course is a minor expense if you’re looking to get work in a bar, and it will help separate you from many other applicants who have not completed their RSA. In such a highly competitive job market, can you afford not to have completed this training?